Participating in a club activity today? Follow the quick link to complete the health screening form before 3pm on the day of the activity.
What is Short Track Speed Skating?
Short track speed skating is performed on a 111m oval on a regular sized ice arena. It is tactical and requires good technique, strength and endurance. Short track is pack-style racing among groups of 4 to 6 skaters. The majority of speed skaters start with short track before progressing to long track speed skating.
Value of Speed Skating
We consider speed skating to be a lifelong physical activity with a long history in Canada that can be enjoyed both recreationally and competitively for many reasons, as follows:
- Speed skating offers a highly attractive alternative for people, especially children and youth, who wish to skate in an exciting way and for whom other options (e.g. hockey, figure, dance, synchronized, ringette etc.) are not appealing or suitable.
- It involves pure individual racing competition requiring skill, determination, strategy, and stamina in a warm atmosphere of respect and camaraderie: an excellent environment for developing young people’s personal character.
- It is equally available for boys and girls, as well as for adults.
- Speed skating is an excellent method for cross training for many other sports including cycling, hockey and figure skating as it will increase speed and endurance whilst building muscle.
Modified Schedule for October 2021
The speed skating clubs have resumed the regular schedule at city run facilities only. As per your registration, the following times are available.
Learn to Speed Skate/Try Speed Skating/Intermediate – Chedoke Arena
- Wednesday: 5:00-5:55pm – Starting October 6, 2021
- Thursday: 4:30-5:25pm – Starting October 7, 2021
Advanced Session – Chedoke Arena
- Wednesday: 6:00-7:30pm – Starting October 6, 2021
- Thursday: 5:30-6:25pm – Starting October 7, 2021
Regular Club Schedule
F.H. Sherman Arena
388 First Rd East
Stoney Creek, Ontario
Green Side Arena
91 Chedmac Dr
Please use the link below to access our registration information and form, which includes dates, times, locations and fees. Once completed, please mail or email your registration and fees to the addresses included on the form.