The Hamilton Speed Skating and Golden Horseshoe Speed Skating clubs offer an opportunity to participate in the exciting sport speed skating. Our youth oriented program currently operates out of the Chedoke Arena in Hamilton, Ontario.
The club is offering a “Try Speed Skating” package to interested youth following the Olympics. The 4 skating sessions in February and March 2022, subject to demand, will take place over a 2 week period on Wednesday at 5:30pm and Thursday at 4:30 pm. (Older may be scheduled 1 hour later on each day). If you missed this opportunity and want to join speed skating contact our club by email. Our regular season runs from September to March and registrations/skate fittings typically occur in late August or early September.
See Registration Information
Try Speed Skating Details
- Cost: $58.17 ($40 club fee includes skate rental + mandatory OSSA fee)
- When: For 2 consecutive weeks – Wed at 5:30, Thurs at 4:30
- Dates: Starting as early as Feb 23, 2022 – Contact the club for available dates
- Experience: Participants in Try Speed Skating Sessions should have prior skating experience to best experience the sport.
- Required Equipment
- CSA approved helmet (ex. Multi-sport, hockey, bicycle) is required
- Gloves – Thick winter gloves or cut-proof are required.
- Speed Skates – Rental are provided by the club (European size format)
- Warm athletic cloths (layers work best, track pants/snow pants, sweater/jacket)
- Optional – Knee pads (volley ball or similar knee pads are recommended)
- Additional equipment can be found on our equipment page.
- Email us if you have additional questions or to sign up a trial session.
Our coaches are certified and have developed a program that is fun and engaging for young skaters and proven effective for elite athlete training. Our Try Speed Skating program is equally ideal for youth skaters with with limited experience as it is for those high level of comfort on skates. Speed skates offers a different experience than other skates (hockey, inline, figure skates), however those comfortable with other skating techniques are often quick to adapt to the speed and differences in technique.
Skaters that stay in the sport will have an opportunity to participate in meets that occur throughout the regular season (Sept-March). The meets are a great opportunity for skaters to challenge themselves and strive for personal best times. Speed Skating in Ontario is a highly inclusive sport which is run by dedicated volunteers. If you have any questions or comments please feel free to reach out to us.